Monday, May 6, 2013

KJV word ... Concupiscence

Two things you may not know about me ...

1) I am a King James Version girl through and through. I grew up reading the King James and it's my go-to version now. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate other versions (some of them), because I do use them sometimes, but my KJV Bible is the one that gets the most (basically all) the use.

2) I love the 1828 Webster's Dictionary. Love it! It's my favorite dictionary of all time.


Put those two together and what do you have? A Christine that understands what she's reading :) You see, as much as I love the KJV, even I have to admit that sometimes there are words that make absolutely no sense to me. For example - today I was reading in Romans 7 and I came across the word "concupiscence" ... no clue what that means! But all I have to do is take out my handy dandy (heavy!) 1828 Webster's and ta-da! Now I know what the verse says.

So, I thought I'd be helpful to all of you KJVers out there and let you know the meanings of the old English words that we don't use anymore as I come across them. Sound like a plan?


CONCUPISCENCE ...
"Lust; unlawful or irregular desire of sexual pleasure. In a more general sense, the coveting of carnal things, or an irregular appetite for worldly good; inclination for unlawful enjoyments."

(in case you were wondering - this word is in a whopping 3 verses in the Bible - Romans 7:8; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:5)

No comments: