Monday, December 3, 2007

Distraction is the name of the game

After spending almost my entire weekend with a 16-month-old I learned something very important - in order to be a good mother (or babysitter in my case) you have to perfect the art of distraction. Crying, screaming, tantrums, wanting something they can't have - toddlers can be distracted from all of it if you find something that's more important to them. For instance - a container of paper clips and a pad of pink post-it notes are way more fun than playing on the keyboard of a computer (at least for a little while) and that glow up snowman holds attention just long enough to get the car seat buckled. I think I may have finally gotten the hang of it.

This whole distraction-theory got me thinking about distraction in other parts of life. Toddlers aren't the only ones that are distracted easily. Take for example me during a normal worship service. How many things do I think of that have nothing to do with God? It's horrible how much work it is for me to focus only on God.

There's also purposeful distraction. I don't know if anyone else does this, but when there's something I don't want to face I distract myself by starting a new project or going out with friends. Anything that will keep my mind off of whatever it is I don't want to think about. I'm especially good at distracting myself when it's God I have to face. All of a sudden there's a million other things I should be doing.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that distraction is a part of our lives even now and when it's part of our spiritual lives it becomes a problem.

Be aware - distraction is out to get you!



Gregg being sufficiently distracted ... for the moment. :)

No comments: