Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Advice from my mom

"Aim for improvement, not perfection."

My amazing mother said this to me this morning when I was complaining that I had planned on getting up an hour early this morning (in order to read my Bible and exercise) and hit snooze so many times that I was only up 15 minutes earlier than normal.

When our aim is to be perfect we will always miss the mark. We can't be perfect - that's God's job. Because of this improvement is always possible (if you're not perfect then you must be able to improve right?). If you aim for perfection and then miss the mark you feel discouraged and usually you eventually give up. But if you aim for improvement then every small step is a victory. Getting up 15 minutes early is still getting up early and though I plan to wake up the full hour earlier tomorrow, I don't have to kill myself over not doing it today.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay for baby steps!! : )

Kristi said...

hey there I love your mom's advice. I have done the same tommorow I will get up early read my bible pray. But then there is the snooze button. But keep trying God knows your heart!!!

Amy said...

I love your new layout, and your mom's advice! She is such a wise woman!!!

Judy said...

Moms are so full of wisdom!!!