Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Boundaries and Side Hugs

Something that has been coming up in a lot of my conversations lately is boundaries. What are they, where are they and who do they apply to? I know that I have erased and moved the boundary lines that are around me to not offend someone or simply because I don't think of them or that they don't apply to a certain circumstance. Why is that? Why are some things ok for some people and not for others?

As Christians we should be very careful how we act around members of the opposite sex. Full body hugs and constantly hanging on each other are NOT good ideas. Why do we act like we're all just one big dating couple? I know that we all love each other and touch is one of the ways we show it, but we have to be more careful.

We all see each other as siblings, but we're not actually related (shocking - I know). We are young men and women of God and we should be protecting each other from temptation and slander or rumors. Other people see us and how we act. We need to set a good example for the unsaved as well as the saved, especially the children of our church.

So, I apologize for the boundary lines I have crossed and the ones that I have completely erased. I don't have this whole boundary thing figured out yet, but I'm working on it and I hope that we can all be more careful. We don't want the Devil to have any foothold in our lives.

PS: I say we bring back side hugs - it's still showing the love, and it doesn't cross that boundary.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Way to go Christine!! : )

Kristi said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!!
No side hugs hand shakes are better!!! Wow how much have you grown in like one day? wow. I was thinking about this the other day about how many people hang on each other wed nights. But everytime I say anything I get eyes rolled. I love being known as the po po :(
The old saying make room for the Holy Spirit..old fasioned but I like it