Friday, June 19, 2009

God is Stronger ... Right?

My dad got sent for blood work two weeks ago because he's had a constant infection and a high white blood cell count ... I'm sure some of you already know where I'm going with this. This morning, after what felt like months of waiting (it was actually only a week) the doctor called us with the news - my dad has Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and he's had it for 2 years. Ouch. The doctor seemed optimistic though - he said that my dad's white blood cells doubled in 2 years and they don't start worrying until they double in 4 months. Which means that my dad could feasibly live another 20 years. I'm not sure what his quality of life will be, but at least he didn't say 6 months. So right now all it means is more doctors appointments and more blood work. My poor father already spends so much of his time in the doctor's office - diabetes, multiple chronic breathing problems, glaucoma, nerve damage, broken back/back surgery, getting older in general, and now this. He's taking it surprisingly well - he doesn't understand why my mom and I are so worried, to him God is in control and what happens will only bring glory to our Creator. I wish I had that much faith.

*Oops! I was wrong - my dad doesn't have glaucoma, he has cataracts. I also forgot to add osteoporosis to his list of ailments.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I will be praying for your Dad!! Please give both him and your mom my love. So many challenges, and yet our God is ever faithful and never changing.

Joshua 1:9
Gal. 6:9

Judy said...

What disappointing news! But God is good and medicine is incredible. You might already know this but my husband, Ryan, was a bone marrow donor this past fall for a 59 year old woman and today she is doing well and expected to live a long full life. To God be the glory for that!
Praying for you guys!