Thursday, March 10, 2011

Daddy's Birthday Card ...

Dear Daddy,

I miss you. A lot.

I miss your smile and your laugh and the way you lit up when you talked about Jesus.

I miss the way you always had your hands folded over your stomach.

I miss waking up to your voice telling me some nonsensical thing that could have definitely waited until my alarm went off.

I miss kissing you goodnight and I miss hearing your footsteps as you got ready for bed. They were such comforting footsteps.

I miss having someone to tell me I look pretty (you always knew when I tried extra hard, and you always went out of your way to let me know you noticed. Nothing like a daddy's love to boost a girl's self esteem.)

I miss hearing, "When I was younger a loaf of bread was a nickle."

I even miss watching Red Sox games.

I miss your preaching. You were so passionate about seeing the lost saved. And even though your face got bright red and even purple while you preached, you always gave it everything you had.

I miss knowing you were praying for me. Every morning.

I miss having you to go to with questions about Scripture. Do you know how many times I've wished I could ask you what you think God meant after I've read something in the Bible?

I almost miss helping you organize the over 20 pills you took everyday towards the end.

I miss conversations that ranged from politics to baseball to God to the past to money and back.

I miss your hugs.

I miss watching you worship Jesus.

I miss you teasing me about my multiplication tables.

I miss you teasing me in general (never thought I'd say that).

There's so much more that I miss, but the thing I miss the most is being the daughter of Robert Salliby. You were Bongo Bob turned Pastor Bob, but I mostly knew you as Daddy Bob.

I miss YOU daddy.

I can't give you your birthday kisses today, but I know that Jesus is loving on you more than I ever could. And as much as you loved me and mommy - you're having a much better birthday in Heaven. I know you are because you're with your Savior. And you can breath normally and you're not in any pain. How wonderful that must be!

Happy Birthday Daddy!

I love you so much!
~Christine

xoxoxo

(this picture was taken less than a month before daddy went home to be with Jesus. I'm pretty sure it's the last picture of us.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christine, you and your dad were blessed to have such a special father daughter relationship. You enjoyed living it and now God has given you the gift of so many wonderful memories of times and things that you shared together and with your mom. You really ARE a blessed young woman!
Sally

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful card of memories Christine. Bob was such a great daddy. I remember how much Bob would light up when he talked about you!
Denise S.

Anonymous said...

Christine....
What a beautiful birthday card to your dad. I know you miss him dearly. You will always be the daughter of Robert Salliby and one day you will see that smiling face again.

Thank you for reminding all of us how sweet your dad truly was.

Laurie