Friday, February 4, 2011

Acts 11:23

In this section of Acts, Barnabas is visiting existing churches. This is what it says about his "sermon" to the church at Antioch: "Who, when he [Barnabas] came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord." As I was reading this verse I was reminded of Genesis 2:24 ("Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh."). As a single girl learning how to trust Jesus to be her everything, this verse made me very happy.

To cleave means "to cling to a person or thing closely". I've always thought it made perfect sense when talking about marriage, but I never thought about it within the context of my relationship with God. I love knowing that I can cling to Jesus closely and trust Him with my hopes, dreams, emotions and life. He knows me better than I know myself and He not only allows me to have a relationship with Him, He wants me to! What an amazing truth to live by!!

No comments: